Information Technology. Sometimes we get so focused on the bits and bytes side of the equation we forget about the information part. When it comes right down to it, IT is all about using technology to inform, to communicate, to make the business of doing business easier and more understandable.
That’s why we compiled this list. VertitechIT’s top 50 IT blogs were selected because they are among the most current, frequently updated, credible, and informative sources of information related to IT on the web today. From musings of industry leaders, to the veteran guys and gals in the trenches who chronicle their IT journeys, these 50 blogs all have something important to say about the IT world of today, and tomorrow.
If your IT department isn’t saving you money, making you money, or improving your efficiency, you need to head in a new direction. The 50 blogs listed here (in alphabetical order) should give you a few ideas on how to get there.
10 Things is one of the most useful blogs on TechRepublic and in the blogosphere at large for IT professionals. Breaking down important facts and tidbits, tips and tricks, techniques, new technologies, and more into bite-sized, easily digestible 10-item lists, 10 Things is a must-read blog for busy IT pros who want to digest need-to-know info in short order.
Three posts we like from 10 Things:
- 10 ways to shrink your IT budget without killing progress
- 10 acquisition pitfalls IT should watch out for
- 10 hardware breakthroughs that could revolutionize IT strategy
TJ Maher has worked in the software testing field since 1996, and since 2015, he’s also been an automation developer and blogger. He started Adventures in Automation in 2015, initially as a way to store the “copious amounts of notes” he found himself taking when he began interviewing for automated development positions. At Adventures in Automation, you’ll find posts on topics ranging from automated testing frameworks to security testing and software quality assurance.
Three posts we like from Adventures in Automation:
- Learn a Programming Language by Contributing to an Open Source Project! One trick to remember if working on an old Maven project
- "Dear TJ: How can one become an expert in automation?
Anoop’s is “a blog about infrastructure management,” which focuses on Microsoft technologies, primarily SCCM. Blogger Anoop C. Nair uses this blog as a tech diary of sorts, documenting the most interesting issues he encounters from day to day in his tech life. With 15+ years of experience in information technology, Anoop provides informative tutorials, tips, and more for the IT community.
Three posts we like from Anoop’s:
- How to Learn SCCM ConfigMgr and Intune
- IT Silos and Impact on IT Operation in the Cloud World
- 5 ways to Save Time on Hyper-V with PowerShell
BizTech Magazine focuses on technology topics and challenges faced by businesses, providing newsworthy articles encompassing everything from data centers to networking, hardware and software, management, security, cloud and business intelligence, and more.
Three posts we like from BizTech Magazine:
- The Biggest Trends in Business Tech in 2016
- How Well Do You Understand Today's Threats to Data Center Security?
- Expanding IoT Necessitates Better Data Storage and Management Solutions
CEB Global is a best practice insight and technology company. CEB’s Information Technology blog offers unique perspectives on driving corporate performance with IT. Topics encompass management, governance, strategy, and more for modern CIOs and technology professionals.
Three posts we like from CEB Blogs: Information Technology:
- How the Best Teams Lead Digitization Efforts
- Five Roles IT Professionals Should Use to Deal with the Business
- Why IT Chiefs of Staff are Shaping Business Strategy
An obvious must-read for any tech professional, CIO provides the latest news and analysis, research, tips, and more. Covering careers and staffing, healthcare, consumer technology, infrastructure, mobile, and much more, CIO proves relevant for technology workers spanning virtually every industry.
Three posts we like from CIO:
- 2017 IT forecast: Budgets will rebound
- How CIOs can kickstart digital transformation programs
- Tech Forecast 2017: 5 key technologies to double down on now
Cisco is the worldwide leader in networking for the internet, offering an array of industry-focused solutions from healthcare to government, financial services, retail and hospitality, manufacturing, energy, and education. The Cisco Blogs are a collection of insights, tips, and resources spanning these industries and a variety of technologies from data centers to enterprise networking and everything in between.
Three posts we like from Cisco Blogs:
- Innovation Learnings in Hospital Information System Deployments
- Collaborate, Celebrate, Innovate: How to Build an Innovative Culture from Within
- Unleashing IT – Evolution of the Data Center
Computer Weekly is the U.K.’s leading IT publication and was the world’s first weekly IT newspaper in 1996 (hence the name Computer Weekly, despite daily content updates). Today, it’s a multi-platform digital publication reaching millions of IT decision-makers in the U.K., Europe, and the world at large.
Three posts we like from Computer Weekly:
- MPs understand IT better than IT Professional understand politics
- IT Priorities 2017: Buyers look for network privacy, visibility tools
- Smart machines primed to accelerate across business
Computerworld boasts a collection of blogs from some of the most knowledgeable and forward-thinking industry leaders. From software and security to operating systems, storage, servers and data centers, and technology companies, Computerworld’s blogs encompass a broad range of topics of interest to today’s IT professional.
Three posts we like from Computerworld:
- How hybrid infrastructure fuels IT velocity
- 7 traits to look for in a vendor
- IT asset management: How to be efficient
CTOvision is a blog dedicated to the interests of CTOs, CIOs, and CISOs. Developed by Bob Gourley, CTOvision focuses on technology, particularly technology topics of interest to enterprise technologists.
Three posts we like from CTOvision:
- Why Now Is the Ideal Time for the CIO to Work with Graphs
- Cognitio’s Cloud Transition Framework Captures Lessons Learned From Real-World Cloud Implementations
- The Best Ways to Get Rid of Unwanted Data
Data Center Knowledge is a leading news and information source for the data center industry. The blog features a variety of contributors and covers several topic areas including networks and storage, server architecture, colocation, managed services, the cloud, and more.
Three posts we like from Data Center Knowledge:
- Incumbents are Nervous about Hyperconverged Infrastructure, and They Should Be
- New Horizons 2017: Five Ideas That Will Shape Your World
- Issues for 2017: Is Compute Power Truly Moving to ‘the Edge?’
David Strom is a B2B IT journalist who contributes to Network World, TechTarget, and SecurityIntelligence.com, as well as a variety of other publications. He offers insights on a multitude of computing and IT topics.
Three posts we like from David Strom’s Web Informant:
- iBoss blog: The challenges and opportunities for managing the Internet of Things
- Everyone is now a software company (again)
- When the HIPAA Sheriff comes to town: how to handle infosec without increasing IT resources
Forrester’s Blog for CIOs features insights from a leading panel of analysts. The Blog for CIOs is packed with actionable content geared specifically to the evolving needs of today’s CIOs as well as roles such as Senior Vice President of IT, VP of IT Planning and Strategy, and other IT professionals.
Three posts we like from Forrester Blog for CIOs:
- VMware Is Evolving As A Powerful Provider Of Cloud-Based Offerings
- 2017 Predictions: Big Data, Digital, and Virtual Care Key to Engage Healthcare’s Empowered Consumer
- Blockchain And IoT: Not Ready For Primetime, But Now’s The Time To Start
For IT professionals not tasked with the over-arching responsibilities of CIOs and VPs, the Forrester Blog for Technology Management Professionals includes content of interest to any IT professional, encompassing topics such as Big Data, DevOps, Business Intelligence (BI), personalization, and more.
Three posts we like from Forrester Blog for Technology Management Professionals:
- Want To Create Action From Big Data? Look At Enterprise Insight Platform Suites
- IoT Software Platform Wave Evaluation Helps Firms Navigate The Complex Solution Landscape
- Take The Wheel: Build Your Cloud Computing Strategic Plan NOW
Future of CIO is a blog focusing on the evolving role of the CIO, emphasizing the increasing demand for CIOs to be both business strategists and technology visionaries. Future of CIO features more than 3,300 posts covering every conceivable aspect of the many demands on the modern CIO, from managing innovation to digital transformation, leadership, and everything in between.
Three posts we like from Future of CIO:
- Taking a Step-Wise Approach for Leading Digital Transformation
- Improving Digital Acumen of IT Organization
- CIOs as “Chief Inquisitive Officer": A set of Q&As (II) to Keep IT Digital Fit
Geek Speak is a part of the THWACK Community, which is a SolarWinds community for all IT professionals. Topics range from database management to network management, government, systems management, and security information and event management.
Three posts we like from Geek Speak:
- Automate IT
- The Actuator (December 14th)
- Three Principles to Guide Your Security Awareness Training Program
“The leading global voice on emerging technologies,” Gigaom is somewhat more of a general tech news publication than a blog focused exclusively on topics of interest to IT professionals. That said, it’s a widely respected, credible publication with regular coverage of IT-relevant news. Additionally, GIgaom is making quite the mark in emerging technology research, so you can also purchase valuable analysis and reports, with key findings often summarized for free.
Three posts we like from Gigaom:
- Analyst Report: Blockchain and Healthcare, IoT, Insurance and Beyond
- The Specter of Performance and the Adoption of Hybrid Clouds
- Survey Shows Cloud Becoming Mission Central for IT Transformation
From IT news and security threat trends to tutorials, expert panels, and more, Information Security Buzz blends the best of news, information, and education to create a comprehensive resource for today’s IT professionals.
Three posts we like from Information Security Buzz:
- SaaS Tsunami – Eight Ways To Help Your Business Ride The Wave
- Security Fears And Inadequate Infrastructure Investments Shake IT Confidence, According To New Intermedia Report
- How Businesses Can Ensure A Smooth And Secure Transition To The Cloud
Information Technology Group’s blog is regularly updated and informative, offering tips and advice for businesses as well as insights and analysis on current trends, predictions about the evolving threat landscape, and more.
Three posts we like from Information Technology Group Blog:
- Network Monitoring: Threats to Expect in 2017
- 3 Reasons to Have a Business Continuity Plan
- How You Can Speed Up the Healthcare Industry’s Move to the Cloud
InformationWeek is a comprehensive source of news and information for any professional in the computing and IT fields, as well as those with a general interest in technology. From DevOps to security, infrastructure, cloud, and more, InformationWeek covers all the pertinent subject matter for today’s IT pros.
Three posts we like from InformationWeek:
- Multi-Cloud Management: What to Realistically Expect in 2017
- IT Spending Expected to Pick Up in 2017
- How Data Storage Is Changing And How To Change With It
Infosecurity Magazine has been providing knowledge and valuable insights to the information security community for more than a decade. The latest trends and topics, in-depth analysis, and opinion columns from leading industry thought leaders are just a few of the things you’ll find at Infosecurity Magazine.
Three posts we like from Infosecurity Magazine:
- Hygiene First, Turbo-Powered Cyber Machine-Learning Predictive Analytics Ninjas Second
- When the Boundary Isn’t Enough: Accelerating Discovery, Investigation and Response
- How to Automate Governance, Risk and Compliance
InfoWorld covers app development, security, open source, data centers, cloud, security, and more, making this blog a robust resource for IT professionals spanning every specialty.
Three posts we like from InfoWorld:
- Why the cloud? In 2016, it was the lure of the new
- 8 big data predictions for 2017
- 7 security predictions for 2017
IT Business Edge covers the intersection between business and information technology, putting “business technology in context.” From the latest trends in IT management to research, security, career insights and information for IT professionals, and more, IT Business Edge is a must-read for every modern IT worker.
Three posts we like from IT Business Edge:
- Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2017
- Improve Standards Compliance in B2B with Platform Modernization
- The Data Center in 2017 and Beyond
Dan Stolts, the blogger behind IT Pro Guru, is an expert in systems management, technology strategy, and security. In addition to his role as Chief Technology Strategist for Microsoft, Stolts owns several businesses and is a published author, providing plenty of insights to empower other IT professionals with useful tutorials, coverage of industry events, and more.
Three posts we like from IT Pro Guru:
- What are Containers and Why Containerization an In-Depth Look at the Future of the Cloud and Virtualization Landscape
- Skills Upgrades, Career Advancement, Inside Resume Preparation and More
- What’s new with Microsoft cloud infrastructure and OSS for modern IT Pros
Featuring content, insights, and opinions from a variety of thought leaders and industry professionals, IT Toolbox is a community of IT professionals who share their knowledge and on-the-job learnings for the benefit of the IT industry.
Three posts we like from IT Toolbox:
- Will Amazon Glue Make a Splash in Cloud Computing?
- How to Get Senior Management Buy In for Your ERP Deployment
- Finding my superpower
For technology decision makers, business leaders, and IT influencers, ITworld is a leading publication widely read throughout the industry. Encompassing topics such as Big Data, BYOD, cloud computing, IT management, enterprise software, data centers, and more, IT pros working for companies of all sizes will find valuable information at ITworld.
Three posts we like from ITworld:
- What 2017 has in store for cybersecurity
- Tech Forecast 2017: Facts and figures for the year ahead in IT
- JetBlue CIO drives innovation through IT’s ‘toolkit’
Brian Krebs has more than two decades of experience writing about security, initially for The Washington Post. Today, he blogs at Krebs on Security, which has become one of the most widely read and regarded blogs in the information security space.
Three posts we like from Krebs on Security:
- Chinese IoT Firm Siphoned Text Messages, Call Records
- Ne’er-Do-Well News and Cyber Justice
- Computer Virus Cripples UK Hospital System
John Herbert is the blogger behind MovingPackets.net, focused on his area of expertise: moving packets. Herbert says, “The networking world encompasses a wide range of technologies and tools all ultimately in support of connecting two end points over some kind of network.” That ever-evolving landscape of “protocols, technologies, vendors and architectures” is what keeps him interested – and also gives him plenty of material for the MovingPackets.net blog.
Three posts we like from MovingPackets.net:
- Unwrapping Tangled Device Configurations – A10 Networks Edition
- Cumulus, Dell, Red Hat Demo Linux as Full Stack SDDC
- IOS For iOS – New Cisco App Brings Network Control To iPhone
Network World is “the premier provider of news, intelligence and insight for network and IT executives.” Network World focuses on delivering news, opinion, and analysis to decision makers who oversee, build, and deploy business solutions, covering a range of topics including mobile and wireless, infrastructure, applications, data centers, and more.
Three posts we like from Network World:
- Cisco execs foretell key 2017 enterprise networking trends
- 7 simple truths you should know about the hybrid cloud
- On being a 24/7 organization and the 2016 leap second
Pricewaterhouse Cooper’s Next in Tech is “where business and experience meet emerging technology.” From the latest technologies entering the scene to news and analysis on technology trends, opinions from industry thought leaders, and more, Next in Tech is a blog to read for IT professionals who want to stay on the cutting edge of emerging technology.
Three posts we like from Next in Tech:
- Lessons from the rise of the IoT in Asia—and beyond
- Guiding principles of technology innovators
- The promise of graph databases in public health
O’Reilly aims to spread the knowledge of innovators, offering up a host of books, research, analysis, video, webcasts, events, and trainings. Covering everything from data and business to software architecture and engineering, O’Reilly is a wealth of information for today’s IT pros.
Three posts we like from O’Reilly:
- Monitoring distributed systems
- Service virtualization, an enterprise solution to legacy systems
- Bringing cloud to the enterprise
Network engineer Jeremy Stretch blogs at PacketLife.net, a blog he started in March 2008 when he was deployed to Iraq as a defense contractor. More than 100,000 monthly visitors read PacketLife.net, which covers everything from coding to configuration management, hardware, security, and more.
Three posts we like from PacketLife.net:
- Stretch's Hierarchy of Network Needs
- The Overlay Problem: Getting In and Out
- Taking the CCIE Lab in RTP
Perficient is a digital transformation consulting firm that serves Global 2000 and enterprise customers throughout North America. Perficient’s Digital Transformation blog encompasses cloud, mobile, digital experience, and business optimization, providing a robust resource for IT professionals engaged in digital transformation at their organizations or for their clients.
Three posts we like from Perficient – Digital Transformation:
- 2017 Digital Transformation Trends: CX Will Retain Importance
- Cloud/DevOps helping drive Digital Transformation
- Role of IT in Digital Transformation
ReadWrite is a news and analysis portal covering the latest technology trends, following the conversation on the Internet of Things, and offering news analysis of all things technology.
Three posts we like from ReadWrite:
- How the lack of interoperability standards could be killing IoT
- Tech world aims to tackle the mental health issue next
- The secret system that will backbone the entire IoT industry
Recode is “reimagining tech news, reviews, and events.” Recode’s Enterprise section is the place to go for all the latest news, trends, and tech happenings impacting enterprises around the globe.
Three posts we like from Recode – Enterprise:
- Automating some jobs can help America tackle its productivity crisis
- VMware is turning to rival Amazon AWS to power its new cloud service
- Google’s enterprise boss explains why it spent $625 million to help non-tech companies make apps
Providing in-depth, unbiased business and technical information to IT professionals, SC Magazine is a robust resource for the technology world. From product reviews to coverage of cybersecurity incidents, in-depth analysis, thought leadership, white papers, and more, SC Magazine is a must-read for the IT community.
Three posts we like from SC Magazine:
- Compliance doesn't equal security, but it sure does help
- Debate: Threats to cloud security are overhyped.
- Healthcare organisations see value in going mobile but concerns linger over device management
Sean Hull has been working with the internet since the 1990s and now works with startups and enterprises as a consultant, helping them improve performance and enable their businesses to scale quickly. Hull blogs about MySQL, AWS, startups, scalability, performance, and more at Scalable Startups.
Three posts we like from Scalable Startups:
- Marching Towards Continuous Development
- Is There a Better Way to Build a Data Warehouse in 2016?
- Are Engineering Orgs Like Google So Different From Sales-Driven Ones Like Oracle?
Scott Hanselman has been blogging for more than a decade and coding for more than two. He’s also been podcasting for more than five years. In addition to coding, blogging, and podcasting, Hanselman is a speaker, offering his expertise on technology, coding, the web, and more, in addition to his expert opinions on the future of tech.
Three posts we like from Scott Hanselman:
- NoSQL .NET Core development using an local Azure DocumentDB Emulator
- Docker on a Synology NAS - Also running ASP.NET and .NET Core!
- Publishing ASP.NET Core 1.1 applications to Azure using git deploy
W. David Stephenson is an author and thought leader on the Internet of Things and data. His blog, Stephenson blogs on Internet of Things, is focused on IoT strategy, breakthroughs, and management.
Three posts we like from Stephenson blogs on Internet of Things:
- Blockchain might be answer to IoT security woes
- Circular Company: Will Internet of Things Spark Management Revolution?
- Siemens’s MindSphere: from automation to digitalization
Richard Bejtlich, Chief Security Strategist at FireEye, blogs about digital security, strategy, military history, and more at TaoSecurity. Bejtlich has blogged at TaoSecurity since January 2003, providing a comprehensive archive of security through the past 13 years. Bejtlich is currently working on his PhD, offering insights from his studies as well.
Three posts we like from TaoSecurity:
- Five Ways That Good Guys Share More Than Bad Guys
- A Brief History of the Internet in Northern Virginia
- 2014-2015 Professional Reading Round-Up
Janelle Crothers is a Microsoft Technical Evangelist who spent 15 years as a Systems Administrator and now speaks to the IT community about the latest advancements in Microsoft technologies. Tech Bunny is where she shares her insights, presentation slides, and other random thoughts on tech.
Three posts we like from Tech Bunny:
- Santa Definitely Uses the Cloud
- Deconstructing JSON: Tale of Two VNETs (Linked templates with VNET peering!)
- Deconstructing JSON: Super Secrets
Tech News World is a part of the ECT News Network, one of the biggest technology and e-business publishers in the U.S. Tech News World’s IT section covers all the relevant news and insights for the modern IT community.
Three posts we like from Tech News World:
- Cloud Enters Mainstream in Federal IT Investment Plans
- Docker, Canonical Team on Enterprise Support
- Tech on TV: A Little Realism Goes a Long Way
TechCrunch is well-known for its breaking tech news and analysis, as well as intriguing opinion pieces from industry leaders. TechCrunch Enterprise is geared towards the enterprise community, covering the way the cloud, big data, and emerging tech devices are changing the way we work.
Three posts we like from TechCrunch Enterprise:
- Omnity search engine finds documents relevant to yours — regardless of language
- Docker open sources critical infrastructure component
- Big data expert Flavio Villanustre talks about the future of massive data stores
The Information began in 2013 aiming to provide in-depth reporting about the technology industry that readers can’t find anywhere else. The Information reports on acquisitions, insider news from corporations like Apple and Google, venture capital happenings, and more.
Three posts we like from The Information:
- Subscriber Optimism About Economy and Tech Plunges
- The Information’s Person of 2017: Evan Spiegel
- The Sunk Cost Fallacy and the Future of Silicon Valley
Tom Hollingsworth has spent 12 years in the information technology industry and is currently an organizer for Tech Field Day. He writes about technology and industry trends, offers insight on networking topics, and uses his expertise to help the community understand challenging technology topics.
Three posts we like from The Networking Nerd:
- HPE Networking: Past, Present, and Future
- OpenFlow Is Dead. Long Live OpenFlow.
- Designer or Architect? It’s A Matter Of Choice
HMG Strategy “delivers innovative transformative leadership, management and technology thought leadership to CIOs/Senior IT executives.” HMG’s Transformational CIO Blog is in line with this mission, covering transformation and leadership, innovation, cloud and cybersecurity, and everything in between.
Three posts we like from The Transformational CIO Blog:
- Consider This: 21st Century CIOs Need 'Split Personalities' to Balance Continuity and Growth
- Are Tech-Savvy CEOs a Help or a Hindrance to the Modern CIO?
- Impact of Technology in Rapidly Changing Markets Plays Directly to Primary Strengths of the CIO
Tom’s IT Pro is a resource portal for IT decision makers, covering Windows, Big Data, storage, data centers, information security, and more. IT professionals will also find career insights, information about certifications, and other valuable resources for career advancement.
Three posts we like from Tom’s IT Pro:
- Oracle Cloud At Customer Brings Oracle Cloud Technology To The Corporate Datacenter
- Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) Tools
- VMware Builds Bridges Between Private And Public Clouds
Troy Hunt is a Microsoft Regional Director and MVP for Developer Security. He creates courses for Pluralsight, speaks at events around the world, and trains technology professionals. His blog is a reflection of his work, covering events, education opportunities, and his perspectives on the technology world.
Three posts we like from Troy Hunt:
- Here's how I verify data breaches
- Get to grips with internet security basics, courtesy of Varonis
- Brief lessons on handling huge traffic spikes
Chris Wahl is a published author and tech writer who blogs at Wahl Network, offering “technical solutions for technical people.” From tips and tutorials to webinar announcements, news and trends, product reviews, and more, Wahl Network is a valuable read for IT pros. Chris is also co-host of the Datanauts podcast, on the Packet Pushers network. VertitechIT is a huge fan of Datanaut’s “breaking the IT silos” approach.
Three posts we like from Wahl Network:
- My Mobile Data Experience with Google’s Project Fi
- New Pluralsight Course – Upgrading Your vSphere Environment
- VMware Gets Serious about RESTful APIs and Expanding PowerCLI
ZDNet is “where technology meets business,” offering 24/7 news coverage and analysis of trends, technologies, and opportunities relevant to today’s IT community and IT decision-makers. From legal to security, the CXO role, hardware, innovation, and more, ZDNet covers everything of interest to every specialization within the IT field.
Three posts we like from ZDNet:
- The SAP platform and digital transformation
- The 5 biggest tech trends of 2016: ZDNet editors sound off
- Five ways to make your digital strategy a success in 2017